Employment Opportunities at the Achievement Centers for Children
The Achievement Centers for Children is nationally-recognized for its excellence in helping children with disabilities and their families achieve and thrive. Employment with us is rewarding personally and professionally.
The Achievement Centers has three locations in Highland Hills, Strongsville, and Westlake.
Summer Camp Staff Positions
We are looking for 100 outstanding, qualified, patient, committed and caring staff members for our summer camp staff team to help children and adults ages 5 to 70+ with disabilities experience traditional camp activities that are fun, empowering, memorable and medically safe. Our Camp Cheerful, nestled on 52 acres of the Cleveland Metroparks in Strongsville, offers swimming, fishing, horsemanship activities, hiking, and a high ropes challenge course, all fully accessible. We also offer day camps at our Highland Hills and Westlake sites.
Coordinator of Special Activities
This new position at Camp Cheerful oversees administration, operation, and management of the Adapted Aquatics and High Ropes Challenge Course. You will also provide planning and leadership regarding adapted physical sports for the River Rock adult day program and camp programs, and water safety for all recreation programs. In addition, you will provide additional supervision during respite weekends and summer camps as requested.
The essential responsibilities are:
High Ropes Challenge Course:
- Ensure compliance with ACCT Challenge Course Standards
- Successfully participate in and be approved on all aspects of the high ropes course
- Assist in management and care of the physical facilities and equipment
- Ensure camp staff and campers know and follow safety and educational procedures
- Recruit, train and manage challenge course staff, ensuring proper staffing for each climb/event
- Create fun challenge course activities for campers
- Maintain proper documentation regarding each climb
- Recruit, train and manage adapted aquatics instructors
- Review and update all safety procedures to ensure compliance with regulations
- Ensure instructors prepare lessons in advance and focus on the individual needs of the individual and group being taught resulting in a quality lesson.
Adapted sports and activities:
- Plans a variety of adapted sports activities for each week.
- Leads at least 2 activities per week for River Rock clients.
- Provides leadership and supervision of summer and respite camp when requested.
- Writes and revises water safety procedures for summer camp to be in compliance with American Camp Association and other accrediting bodies.
1. High school diploma or G.E.D.
2. Some college
3. Three years job-related experience.
1. Bachelor’s degree in related field.
2. Experience supervising others.
3. Experience with a high ropes challenge course.
1. Requires ability to lift 100 pounds
2. Requires ability to climb ladders, belay self and others on a ropes course, perform a rescue on a ropes course.
3. Requires ability to remain standing and walk extended periods of time.
Child Development Center Positions
Highland Hills, Ohio
Join one of Cleveland's oldest and most innovative agencies serving children! We are seeking a Full-Time Substitute Co-Teacher and Substitute Assistant Teacher for our 5-Star Step Up to Quality Child Development Center. These positions are available now through June, 2015. Hours are flexible.
Substitute Full-Time Co-Teacher
Responsible for planning and implementing preschool curriculum that incorporates Ohio Early Learning Development Standards. You will observe and record children's ongoing development through creation and maintenance of a portfolio for each child.
The qualified candidate will possess a Bachelor's degree in Early Childhood Education or Child Development and a minimum of 5 years teaching experience in an inclusive child care center. Experience teaching in a Step Up To Quality Center is required.
Substitute Assistant Teacher
Assist the teachers in the supervision of all classroom activities including physical activities. You will assist children with needs such as feeding, diapering, toileting, hand washing etc. A minimum of one year teaching experience in a Step Up to Quality Child Care Center is required. The qualified candidate must possess CDA or equivalent.
Recreation Coordinator for Camp Cheerful
This position assesses, plans, implements, and evaluates activity programs for children and adults with disabilities, which are multi-faceted, meet functional needs and reflect the interest of the clients. You will be responsible for respite weekends, summer camp programs and the High Rope Challenge Course.
Qualifications will include a minimum of two years working with children and adults with disabilities and a minimum of two years in planning and executing age-appropriate, theme oriented activities and programs. You will have experience recruiting, training and leading staff.
In addition, you need to be:
- Committed, patient, and caring person with a sense of humor and a positive attitude
- Work well in a team environment and interact with other staff, volunteers and campers
- Available during non-traditional working hours
- Recreation Therapist (preferred but not required)
- Lifeguard Certification (or willingness to obtain within first 6 months of employment)
- Must have the physical ability to successfully complete all job duties and a resilient nature to meet the demands of the position.
Administrative Manager of Recreation Services
Make a difference in the lives of adults with disabilities! Bring your talents and enthusiasm to Camp Cheerful in Strongsville as our Administrative Manager of Recreation Services.
You will manage Camp Cheerful’s office functions and assure the most effective and efficient management of procedures and task completion on a year-round basis. You will supervise the administrative staff responsible for billing, summer staff personnel files and office procedures.
The qualified candidate will market camp to potential rental groups by providing rental group information, schedules and conduct rental tours and confirm rentals by creating contracts and forwarding to billing clerk to create an invoice. In addition, you will serve as the Administrative Assistant to Vice President of Recreation and Sports.
You will possess:
1. High school diploma and some college. A bachelor’s degree is preferred.
2. Minimum 3 year job related experience
3. Previous supervisory experience
4. Computer knowledge and keyboarding skills
5. Must be detail-oriented and be able to work independently in a fast-paced environment
6. Good mathematical ability and experience with spreadsheet applications, bookkeeping and data management
Therapeutic Horsemanship Program Volunteer Coordinator - Part-Time
The Therapeutic Horsemanship Program at Camp Cheerful in Strongsville is seeking a part time (20 hours per week) volunteer coordinator to add to our team. You will be responsible for recruiting, training, and scheduling volunteers for ACC’s classes and special events.
You must be a self-starter, highly organized, detailed oriented and able to work in a fast-paced environment. The qualified candidate will plan and implement recruitment and recognition events and supervise the volunteers. Experience coaching and training of staff members is required. The responsibilities also include maintaining volunteer schedules and assignments.
You will develop a quarterly e-newsletter, conduct satisfaction surveys, orientations and training classes. You must be able to be on call during the week and weekends. You will have computer skills to include Word, Excel and Outlook.
The qualified candidate must enjoy working with people with special needs. You will be working indoors and outdoors in all types of weather and must have experience working with horses.
Please send resume including salary requirements to
Summer Interns for Therapeutic Horsemanship Program
Our PATH Premiere Accredited Therapeutic Horsemanship Program is currently looking for summer interns with horse experience to assist with the daily care of program horses and stables. These internships are from June through August.
River Rock Adult Day Service Provider
Make a difference in the lives of adults with disabilities! Bring your talents and enthusiasm to our new, year-round, 5 day a week program, and provide hands on assistance to our clients through a range of outdoor and indoor activities on 52 beautiful acres at Camp Cheerful in Strongsville.
Cook – Respite Weekends
Camp Cheerful in Strongsville
Make a difference in the lives of children and adults with disabilities by bringing your culinary talents to the organization as the Cook!
Responsibilities of this position include:
· Preparation, serving and clean-up for camper and counselor meals.
· Able to work weekends for breakfast, lunch and dinner
The qualified candidate will possess:
· A minimum of three years’ experience as a cook.
· Experience with children and/or adults with disabilities helpful
Make a difference in the lives of children and adults with disabilities by bringing your talents to Camp Cheerful! Become part of our Camp Team!
We are looking for Respite Weekend Counselors for our Strongsville location. You will be providing primary care for both individual needs and participation in camp activities. These position are Friday 5:30 pm to Sunday 4:00 pm. These positions require overnight on the camp grounds.
Adapted Aquatics Instructor
Are you a flexible, creative and enthusiastic individual capable of developing unique and individualized strategies to meet each swimmer’s learning style? If so, we have PRN contracted positions available at our Westlake Facility and at Berea Recreation Center in Berea, Ohio.
Updated: March 23, 2015