Achievement Centers for Children: A Legacy of Hope for Children with Disabilities
What began in 1940 as a three-man Rotary Club service project known as the Society for Crippled Children, has become one of Cleveland's most effective agencies for the care and rehabilitation of children with disabilities.
Children at the Achievement Centers may have a wide range of disabilities including physical, neurological, sensory, cognitive or a combination of these. In fiscal year 2015-2016, the Achievement Centers served over 2,500 children and their families through a variety of services and programs. We serve families from all income levels.
Our innovative programs and services focus on the key areas of Education and the Autism School; Therapy Services and the Intensive Therapy Clinic; Family Support Services; and Recreation and Adapted Sports.
In 2004, we opened our state-of-the-art 38,000 sq. ft. facility, the Breen Family Center, after completing a $8.5 million capital campaign. The five-acre site includes gardens, an atrium, outdoor pavilion, accessible paths and multiple play areas.
The Achievement Centers for Children is a private, non-profit organization. Recognizing that raising a child with a disability can create financial burdens for families, we work with each family to determine affordable, sliding-scale fees in many of our programs and identify community benefits that may offset all or part of the cost of services whenever possible.
We could not maintain this philosophy without the tremendous support we receive from our community.
- a child with disabilities or special needs is a child first. We focus on abilities and potential rather than limitations. Last year, over 2,500 individuals and their families benefited from our programs and services.
- in providing counseling and coordination of services to families to help them deal with the often challenging and emotional times that accompany raising a child with a disability.
- that services provided to children with disabilities early in life can have the greatest impact on their lifelong abilities.
- in providing innovative and effective methods of treatments based on research to gain the greatest outcomes. We are one of the few organizations in the U.S. offering an Intensive Therapy Clinic to children and young adults with limitations in movement as a result of such conditions as cerebral palsy, spina bifida, and other diagnoses.
- in sound fiscal management. Out of every dollar donated, $.82 goes directly for the benefit of our clients and to further our mission.
The Achievement Centers for Children is grateful for the financial support contributed by our many community donors. All information gathered, presented and provided by the Achievement Centers' Development Department is used solely for fundraising purposes to benefit the Achievement Centers for Children. Donor information is considered confidential and is treated as such. The Achievement Centers for Children does not sell, rent or trade donor lists. We value our donors and adhere to the Association of Fundraising Professionals' Donor Bill of rights. If at any time you choose not to receive communications from us, you may contact the Development Department and your name will be removed from our mailing list.